Thursday, August 14, 2008

Problem Solved!


I realize that Luke is basically the only thing I post about ... so maybe in the future I'll come up with something interesting about Todd and/or myself.
Until then ...

Luke is such a natural problem solver. As far back as I can remember he has enjoyed figuring out how things work, and how to get into things that he shouldn't! I know he must learn how to do some of the things from observing his parents — like how to open the DVD player, put in a DVD and shut it using the button — but he has done a few things that have absolutely shocked me. For example, he found a wireless mouse that Todd had brought home from work and within minutes, figured out how to take the battery in and out. He can open some "baby-proof" locks, take the safety covers off outlets and seems to instinctively know how to work an iPod. If one of his toys isn't working, he'll flip it over to see if there is an on/off button.

He did two things today that were perfect examples of this problem-solving characteristic. We got him a cheap little stool from Ikea that he steps on when he brushes his teeth. Today, he realized that he could stand on it at other times. So he was standing on the stool when he suddenly turned to me and said "oh" like a lightbulb had gone off in his head. He gets off, picks up the stool and starts toting it around the house so he can reach things he was formerly unable to. He put it in front of our dresser to try to reach my jewelry (luckily he was still a little short), and in front of our bathroom vanity so he could reach my contact solution. I probably should've stopped him but I was too amazed.

Later, he went into spare bedroom (which will soon be his big-boy room), waltzed straight over to my sewing machine, switched on the button and stepped on the foot. Good thing I always keep it unplugged! He realized that it was unplugged but there is a piece of furniture blocking the outlet so he couldn't plug it in.

4 comments:

Lant Family said...

What a smart kid! Kinda unlucky for you but good for Luke.

Tiffany said...

What a smart boy! You'll have fun finding parts and pieces to all his toys when he gets older. He'll need a set of tools first to really take it apart. :)

Adam and Bri said...

Smart kid and cute to boot! Those are some good genes, Hollingsheads.

Rachel said...

He is so cute and smart. Let's keep him and Brevyn far, far away from each other or together they may devise a plot to take over the planet!