Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh Luke


Taking the kids to the grocery store (or any other store, for that matter) is always an adventure. We have yet to experience large-scale calamities while on such excursions — nothing has been broken, no one disappeared or ran away — but the trips are far from uneventful. (It was easier when Millie was little and not mobile. Now she thinks she should be able to cruise around freely like Luke and she uses throws quite the fit when she has to stay in the cart.)

Take our shopping trip to Costco last week. For starters, I have a love-hate relationship with Costco. Love the variety and quality of merchandise, love the food testing, hate the crowds and hate the fact that it is nearly impossible to only purchase what is your list.
The trip last week was typical -- tons of people even though it was 2 p.m. on a weekday, Luke didn't want to get in the cart, Millie was protesting because she wanted to try all the food, you get the idea. When we finished shopping, we waited by the tills for our friends to check out. That is when Luke struck up a conversation with an elderly gentleman waiting for his wife. This guy was friendly looking, around 75 years old, with very white hair.
Luke: Hello, do you want to come to my house?
Grandpa man: Sure. What are we going to do?
Luke: We can play trains and cars.
Grandpa: What else will we do? Do you have a bike?
Luke: Um, yes.
Grandpa: Do you have a wagon?
Luke: No, I don't have a wagon. (Forlorn look).
Grandpa: OK. I'll bring mine.
Just then, his wife approached.
Grandpa: Honey, this young boy has invited us to play at his house.
Luke: That's right, we'll call you later.

The whole way to the car I was thinking about how cute Luke is and how I am glad he is such a friendly and nice little boy. Then as soon as we got to the van he decided to chuck the bottle of vanilla I had just bought out of the car. It crashed on the ground, spilling everywhere. Awesome.
I told Luke that wasn't very nice and that he would have to pay for the bottle. (He has been saving his pennies, literally, for more GeoTrax). When we got home, he reminded me that I needed to get money out of his piggy bank for the "banilla." I didn't take anything, but pretended to. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

6 comments:

Carlie said...

Adorable! Luke is a cute little guy. Does he miss the song leader from the 2nd ward?

Lant Family said...

That is so funny! Yes that is nice that Luke is so social and friendly. He is so cute. Lucy runs around when we go shopping. It is hard. Did you guys get a van?

Rachelle said...

That is so cute! And yeah, that's pretty much how my shopping trips go. Wednesday I ended up leaving Rite Aid without buying anything because Aaron just kept screaming (he hates the shopping cart too). Someday we're going to miss these days, though, right? Right? :)

PixieGirl said...

I've got some banilla you can borrow-hehe. Luke is going to be a great missionary...talks to anyone, invites them to do things (commitment pattern already mastered) and he's already a believer.

leah jane said...

that's the sweetest little conversation. i bet he made that particular grandpa's day with his invite.

amelia said...

I cannot believe how sweet that is. And yet how familiar - one moment are kids are adorable, the next total terrors :)